You must present a current library card in good standing from the Holyoke Public Library or from another library in the C/WMARS network (Central and Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing) to borrow materials from the Holyoke Public Library. If you do not have a library card, you may apply for one.
Library Card Application Process
Any Massachusetts resident may apply for a FREE Holyoke Public Library card by presenting the required identification at the circulation desk.
We accept other C/WMARS PUBLIC LIBRARY cards.
ACADEMIC LIBRARY card holders must also obtain a card from a C/WMARS PUBLIC library.
Library cards are not transferable. No one may use another person's card. (Exception: Homebound people may designate another person to use their cards to borrow materials for them.)
Here is what you can do with a valid Library Card and Your PIN:
- Check your library record and see the status of your library account (need valid library card and PIN)
- Renew library materials—Don't be late, renew your library items(need valid library card and PIN)
- Inter-Library Loan—Search to place a Reserve/Request on library materials (need valid library card and PIN)
- Be automatically notified by e-mail--go to your library account, (need valid library card and PIN)
- Digital Treasures—a central & western Massachusetts digital library project
- Digital Collections—Throughout the Commonwealth, repositories house irreplaceable collections of books and private and public documents that serve as a rich resource for researchers involved in local, state, regional, national, and international studies.
- Manuscripts, Archives & Special collections—The Manuscripts, Archives and Special Collections Directory is a guide and locator of collections residing in Massachusetts libraries, archives, historical societies and town clerk's offices.
Acceptable Forms of Identification for Application:
IDENTIFICATION CARDS and proof of current address
- Massachusetts driver's license or Massachusetts Registry identification
- Massachusetts learner's permit
GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID
- PVTA PICTURE PASS
- CURRENT STUDENT ID
You will be able to check out ONE book on the day you apply for your new library card with ID and proof of current address.
A postcard will be mailed to verify address within 1-3 days after processing. When you receive your postcard, bring it to the library. You will be able to borrow up to the number of items set by the C/WMARS network, and have access to interlibrary loan, various online resources and computer access.
Type of Library Cards
- Permanent Residents—City of Holyoke and Massachusetts residents may obtain a library card without charge. Proof of identity is required
- Non-Residents—Patrons who reside outside Massachusetts may obtain a library card. Proof of identity is required. Acceptable forms of identification are listed above
- Temporary Residents—Any person living in the City of Holyoke temporarily may obtain a library card without charge. Proof of identity and a local mailing address are required at time of application. Acceptable forms of identification are listed above.
- Temporary Borrower's Card—Expires 30 days from the date of application; extensions may be granted upon request if needed
Replace Lost Library Card
You will be responsible for anything checked out prior to the time you report the card missing. If your library card is lost or stolen, report it IMMEDIATELY in person to the circulation desk or by calling 413-322-5640. The record will be blocked so no one else can use the card. You may request a replacement card by presenting a picture ID with your current address to the circulation desk.
$1.00 – first time replacement fee
$5.00 – second time or more replacement fee